Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Epic Elaine Paige Being Epic (Bohemian Rhapsody)


Earlier today, I found myself singing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody after one of my best friends, Cristyl, posted a graphic sequence of line visualisations of the song using internet meme drawings.

Yeah.  That's the one on the right.  Just view it in a new tab for a full view, otherwise, don't even bother trying to read it because it's futile.  Some of the text is way too small.

Anyway, following about ten minutes of singing "Galileo, Galileo..." in a high-pitched countertenor, I decided to Wiki it up to read about the song.  It's fascinating to note that it actually doesn't have a chorus and that, as a whole, the lyrics tells a story.  It's one of the few non-theatrical story-telling songs that have survived time even in its original version.

So, back to Wiki, I clicked on the link that said Cover versions and found out that the epic Elaine Paige actually performed the song.  Where did I jump to next?  You guessed it!  The mother of all video sites: YouTube!  I was literally stomping my feet, clasping the edge of my chair, and doing fist pumps while watching this video.  Yes, all by myself!  Isn't that just crazy?

Elaine is one of a few artists who have such an effect on me.  I couldn't get over how utterly amazing this woman is.  From musical theatre to opera to pop to hard rock, she can do everything!  Despite her short stature, she oozes in epic awesomeness each time she's on stage opening her mouth to sing.