Friday, November 19, 2010

Theosophical Society in the Philippines National Convention 2010 - Day 1

I had such an awesome day.  Today was the first of a three-day-long national convention for the Theosophical society in the Philippines.  I’m in Quezon City right now specifically for two reasons.  One of them is this.

What we had earlier today was the retreat part handled by none other than Dad Vic Hao Chin.  He’s such an awesome person.  Believe me.  He’s more spiritually and intellectually evolved than anyone I have ever met.  He’s one of such a few people in existence whom we would call genuine mystics.  I believe it’s safe for me to conclude that he’s the kindest, most generous, most benevolent human being in the Philippines.

You may be wondering why I call him “Dad.”  Well, here’s the thing:  Dad Vic is a Freemason and so is my very own father.  That makes them brothers, which makes him my uncle in their brotherhood.  It wouldn’t be nice to call him uncle, though, since tradition tells me I should address every other Freemason as “Dad.”  Don’t ask me why.  That’s just it.

Anyway, back to what happened during the day.  I enjoyed it very much, but it’s a bit of a bummer that I came in a little late.  You see, the retreat started at 9:00AM, but my flight was scheduled at 11:25 since there weren’t any more options for me.  I purchased my ticket a bit late since my participation in this convention wasn’t really planned.  My father practically asked me to attend on the 11th hour, ergo, no more early flights.  Despite that, I was eager to attend the afternoon session.  However, circumstances were not in my favor upon arrival.

My cousin Trisha, whose birthday happens to be on the 22nd of this month, picked me up at the airport.  To my surprise, her friends, who happened to be in the van, told me that her party was actually today.  I knew for certain that I was going to miss it since I had a prior commitment, so I told her about the conference.  She was a little disappointed and I couldn’t leave her with the sad look on her face so I decided to join her for lunch instead.  We left NAIA at a little before 1:00 and it took us nearly an hour to get to the restaurant we were supposed to eat at.  We ate and chatted for about an hour and left at 3:00.

My thoughts calmed down for a moment, thinking that I was finally going to make it to the headquarters.  This is when the next dilemma came into the picture.  To my dismay, her chauffeur didn’t know where the place was despite the address given.  We went around New Manila thinking it was there.  We made several stops to ask for directions only to find out we were either in the wrong direction or we’d missed the place.  I made several phone calls to my dad and to Ate Cora, a member of the brother/sisterhood also from Bohol who arrived in the city several hours before me, to ask for directions.  My dad’s responses were unacceptable to the chauffeur and Ate Cora wasn’t picking up anymore.  It was okay, though, since I was aware that she was already immersed in the retreat.  My last resort was to call the landline number of the HQ.  I had them stay on the line until I got here.  That finally did the job.  It crippled my airtime, but at least I got here before dark.

I am really glad I’m participating in this.  It doesn’t matter that I came in late.  The moment I stepped inside, everyone greeted me with smiles that were so inspiring that every undesirable happening had stopped to matter before I realized it.  They were eating vegan pasta when I arrived.  I was just in time for Dad Vic’s lecture on mysticism.  I don’t have the words to use for it at the moment since I am not one to lay down remarks other than “it was inspiring,” and “I loved every moment of it.”  It was the day’s last formal activity.  After which, we all headed to a vegan restaurant to socialize and eat dinner.  The food was very good and the people were nothing short of amazing.  I’m very proud to call them my brothers and sisters, not because of the positions most of them hold in society, but because I could tell that they’re genuinely good people and that they have come here to broaden their wisdom together with every other Theosophist in the constant search for truth.

After dinner, I headed back here and I’m in the HQ right now about to hit the hay.  I have a nice room with a nice bed and an air conditioning unit.  I’m actually the only person sleeping here other than the caretaker (who, by the way, also happens to be a member of the society).  This is an old house and there are a lot of etheric residues.  Yes, I mean ghosts.  I’ve seen three so far.  They’re nice.  You can bet they’re of good people whose causal bodies are awaiting reincarnation in Devachan.  I’m not afraid.  Earlier, I found out that the water dispenser in the kitchen had run dry so I was compelled to go to the hall to fetch some.  I saw two there after turning the light on, and the third one at the corridor I passed on my way back to the room.  They’re completely harmless.

Anyway, I think I’ve written enough.  I shouldn’t consume my words.  I have a full day ahead.