Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs Has Gone Away



I know people all over the world are talking about Steve!  Well, I wanna talk about him, too!

Don't worry, though.  This isn't gonna be one of the many, many articles currently circulating all over the internet detailing Steve Jobs' childhood in foster care, blah-blah-blah, adolescence, blah-blah-blah, how he didn't finish college, adulthood, blah-blah-blah, disease, blah-blah-blah, up to the tiny piece of breadcrumb that fell on his left big toe four seconds before he breathed his last breath.  No.  This isn't even going to discuss how big of a visionary he was.  Most of us know these things already and if you don't, I'm not going to be the one to fill you in.  That's what Wikipedia is for!

Okay, before I go on, I need to tell you that the part about the breadcrumb-on-left-toe-before-death wasn't real.  It's just something sarcastic I came up with while typing.  Well, you get why I said that, right?  Also, before you get turned off, I'm gonna tell you ahead that I will NOT, in any way whatsoever, say anything negative about Steve.  Nada!  Read on.

Now, the reason why I opted not to talk about Steve's life and career is because I'm not a credible source of information when it comes to things concerning Apple--including the technological visionaries that founded it.  That said, Mr. Jobs himself isn't spared from my severe lack of information.  But, yeah, this article still revolves around him because his name appears on the title.

The only time I ever really got significant information on how big Steve Jobs was as a visionary over simply being among the world's most powerful moguls was when my best friend funnelled it all in my head.  We were bored one day at a coffee shop and we had nothing productive to talk about, so she started mumbling things about Steve and how much of a hero he is in the tech industry.  I took very little interest at first, on account of my bias against Apple, but over a few weeks, I took the liberty of doing my own research about him to be able to contribute to a future conversation regarding him.  So, yes, we had more of those until I genuinely gained interest.

I managed to develop a sense of appreciation for Steve even though I'm not an Apple user myself.  He did, through the ways he knew, leave the world a better place than when he had first set foot on it.  For that, I salute him and send good energy to his mourners all over the world.

Anyway, here's something rather peculiar.  The last time my best friend and I had a conversation about Steve was early this morning.  It was 2AM (that means October 5 2PM, EST) and we were at the front porch talking about getting autographs from our biggest living heroes.  She's a techy geek while I'm more of an artsy type of geek and I already have an autograph from Lea Salonga, so I let her have the fantasy stage.

My best friend was toying with the idea of getting Steve to sign her iPhone if the opportunity ever arose.  She said no matter how much Steve would brush her off, she'd persist.  For some reason, however, I had a strong gut feeling that it would never happen.  No, I did not foresee his death or anything.  I hadn't the slightest clue why I had a strong "not gonna happen" feeling, but I'm sure it wasn't anything akin to saying "whatever."  It was a weird sensation in my stomach--the kind most of us experience when on airtime in a roller-coaster that's matched with goosebumps.  I had no sign to tell me that death was involved.  Nothing at all.  It was just that my best friend, a huge Steve Jobs fan, would never ever get to meet her idol personally.

A few hours later, the news popped up on Twitter.  Imagine my feeling.

So, yes, Steve Jobs has gone away for now.  But he's gonna come back to Earth just like most of us will after we go.  It's a process of which death is a recurring part.  It's called life and, in essence, it doesn't ever end.

Blessed be.