Thursday, July 21, 2011

Old Entry #13: I Idolize John Gokongwei, Jr (But...)

Time for another old entry.  Well, I don't know exactly what makes it "time" for one.  I just feel like posting one so that means it's time!

Not much blabber needed for this one.  It has to do with John Gokongwei, Jr as my role model in the field of business and entrepreneurship (although I'm not as hardcore as he is... yet).  It also talks about a very sweet bottled juice drink that his company produces, which, for that matter, I haven't seen in quite a while.

I wonder...  Maybe I was right after all.  Where'd it go?  Wanna know what I'm talking about?  Go ahead and read!



This was originally posted on Apr 6, '09 3:00 AM on Multiply.com.


__________________________________________________





If nonsensical blogs annoy you, then stop reading and leave now.

Well, don't say I didn't warn you...

Anyway...

Two years ago, when I was still in Silliman University business school, my dad gave me this book called The Path To Entrepreneurship.  It told the story of how John Gokongwei, Jr constructed his massive business empire.  It divulged how he went from riches-to-rags-to-riches -- how he managed to carve his name in the list of the world's most respected business personalities.
[Note: Such list excludes Donald Trump]

I read the book from cover to cover between breakfast and lunch one nothing-else-to-do Saturday morning.  And believe me, it was inspiring.  You need not be business-minded to appreciate it.  You don't have to take it in as some sort of business scheme textbook.  Let it inspire you the way it should.  The way it did me.

Yes, John Gokongwei, Jr is a well-renown man in business.  Yes, he is a good man.  Yes, he has helped a lot of people.  Yes, he gives job opportunities to thousands and thousands of Filipinos who would otherwise add to NSO's figure of native mendicants.  Yes, he is a role model for all of us who wish to take a similar path in carving our names somewhere.  Yes, yes, yes.

HOWEVER...

I personally do not believe that the bottled juice drink his company sells actually aids in making a person slim down -- or even lose weight at the very least.  It's just way too sweet.  Universal Robina's TV commercial says Fab has some sort of substance that burns fats.  If all those substances that allegedly help burn fats could actually work their way into doing what they could supposedly do, then where does all that sugar go?  It would probably just compensate for the burned fat and nullify the effect.  Or, or all it probably does is add to our body fat substance.

I don't know what the truth is but that's what I think.  I'm not a chemist.  I don't really know.  Who am I to make such judgment.  This is just an opinion, okay?  Don't diss me for this.  It's just that I haven't blogged in a long time and I felt the need to post something.  My apologies.  But, anyway, I still drink it.  I drink it a lot.  It tastes good.  It just seems preposterous to me that something that sweet could actually aid me in slimming down.

I believe in C2's antioxidant content, though.  At least, I'd like to believe -- since I drink it ever so often.  It has a very refreshing tinge to it.  Moreover, it has that reassuring bittersweet taste of green tea leaves that tells me every time I drink it that: "I'm not just drinking some bottle of concoction made from sugar and whatever else.  I'm actually protecting myself from cancer."
[LMAO!]

So, yes, I idolize John Gokongwei, Jr.  However, the idea of Fab doing what the ads say it could do is just plain ridiculous.

.
.
.