Saturday, January 8, 2011

Duniya Mein Hum Aaye Hain

The title is Hindi for "We Have Come To The World."

When I heard the song for the first time, of course, I didn't know what it meant, but I was deeply moved by the woman's behavior in the video so I viewed it with great appreciation.  From the time the song starts--with the vision of a woman sweating while manually plowing a field--to the meal she prepares food for her children, to the time when the crops grow, it was such a treat to watch.

I can resonate with the children in the video since I know how hardworking a woman my mother is.  I always look up to empowered, hardworking women.  People like my mom, Liza Quirog, people like Lea Salonga, Michelle Obama, HM Queen Elizabeth II, HM Queen Rania of Jordan, the late Mother Theresa, St. Joan of Arc, are perfect examples of women who should be emulated not only by other women, but by everyone.

Anyway, back to the song.  The reason why I came across it isn't accidental.  This morning, while reading an article about India's national personification, Bharat Mata, I came across a suggestion by Wikipedia to read about the film Mother India.  I clicked and I got redirected and read the plot.  I found it very interesting and wondered if I could see snippets of it on YouTube, and so on and so on until I found the video.  To my surprise, it's actually a musical film, which makes it more awesome!

I have yet to learn what the entire song says word-for-word, but here's an essential translation of its meaning, which I found online:


If we have come to the world, then we have to live.
If our life is poison, then we have to drink it.


After falling again and again in our troubles,
we will keep doing it 'till we get it right.


If we burn ourselves, we will keep walking in fire.


The one who gave us sadness will make it go.
God is with us, so we shall not be afraid.
We must remove sadness from our hearts.

One who lives with respect dies with respect.


If a person loves his/her work, then what work is difficult?


It's beautiful, isn't it?

Here's the video: