Thursday, October 21, 2010

Be a Sensible Sympathizer

I did some self-examination this morning up to about 11AM.  I had lunch and went back at it at 1PM ‘till 5PM.  My theme was “unfulfilled personal aspirations and what to do about them.”  Again, I’m not going to divulge my plans to the World Wide Web.  It’s not nice to be frustrated.  I know a great deal about frustration, and let me tell you it doesn’t feel good—especially if a lot of people know about it.  In addition to the gratuitous sympathy text messages and mobile phone calls in the middle of my lunch, what else?  Yes, who can forget about the red dialog box Facebook notification I receive from time to time?

Here’s the deal:  Being a friend is good, but sensitivity is very important in that regard.  From time-to-time, one must examine himself/herself by asking:  “Am I being a good friend by doing the things I’m doing?”  Of course, logically, it’s the thought that counts, but it’s selfish to have to make the miserable party be the one to understand your behavior.  We all have our oops-I-think-I-did-something-inappropriate moments, but don’t console yourself by saying, “it’s okay, he/she will understand that I was just trying to be a good friend.”  Next time, think before doing.  This goes to people who like being sympathetic.  Try choosing the right words next time.  Also, when you do find the right words, please not on my Facebook wall.  I like inspirational things there, and if there has to be a lamentation, it should come from me, not from another person who feels sorry for me.