Friday, October 1, 2010

I Helped a Worm Survive

Just an hour ago, I helped a worm.  Yes, a squiggly, wiggly, slimy little earth worm.  I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor being.  It was not being a pest.  It was not invading my home and it certainly was not causing me burden.


I saw it beside the wall trying to crawl it's way into the dirt.  However, it couldn't.  The soil was too dry and it couldn't burrow into it.  I saw it writhe in agony whenever it touched the concrete behind it.  I had to do something.  I couldn't just watch it die.

I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a glass and filled it with water.  I then went out of the house and poured water onto the soil near the worm and onto its body to cool it.  I guided it with a leaf out of the hot concrete so that it could burrow its way underneath.  Upon a closer look, I even noticed its blood running around its little body through a lone blood vessel.  That worm was alive and it had a physical mechanism.  It was a living creature just like all of us and it deserved to live.

A thought:  Why can't we all treat each other that way?  Why does there have to be killing and crime and global turmoil and pollution and bigotry?  Has life's value declined?  We only have one planet and we are all its children.  We are minute organisms from a whole.  In a sense, we are all one.  When we hurt another, we hurt ourselves.  Remember the law of cause and effect.  The inevitable law of karma.


 That worm taught me a very valuable lesson today.  I can't put it in words.  It's something that the experience afforded me to feel to learn.  Just picture it out and maybe you'll learn it, too.